Sunday, September 12, 2010

A restful Sunday

I was up and down last night (ill) so today was a good day to rest and enjoy the quietness of home, and the beauty outside. We look out onto several hundred acres of native grasses, flowers and cottonwoods, and when the wind blows (as it does about 90% of the time) it looks as if the world is dancing. No storms today, just sunlight that is beginning to soften in the autumn season. In the winter the light in the north becomes almost brittle and shallow, not the mellow richness of the summer sun or the awakening bounty of the spring.

I watched part of the PBS series on our National Parks today and wondered why so many Americans are in such a hurry to go explore other places before they've bothered to spend the time to visit the wonders which can only be found within our country's boundaries. We have more natural wonders, better preserved and protected, than anywhere else in the world. So when planning your next trip, look for what you might have missed close to home. I know that as much of the west as I have seen, there are so many places in the midwest and eastern US that I've not gotten the chance to explore, cultures I am alien to, foods I've not yet tasted, people waiting to be met.

No comments:

Post a Comment